St Vincent de Pauls Wollongong CEO Sleepout Fundraising Dinner
There are 1,000 people sleeping homeless and hungry every night in the Illawarra.
Homelessness and mental health disability all so often go hand in hand. It is hard to believe that in the beautiful City of Wollongong and its surrounds some 1,000 people are sleeping in shelters, motor vehicles, shared housing and on park benches.
Acorn Lawyers are privileged to be pro bono lawyers for the St Vinnies CEO's Sleepout. An annual event raises funds for the homeless and this year the dinner is aiming to raise $25,000 plus, to fit out the new van purchased late last year which goes out into highly populated areas of homeless people to provide food and drink and a friendly face to talk to.
Along with Mission Australia, St Vincent de Paul is the leading charity providing shelter and care to homeless people in Australia.
The figures are alarming:
- 84% increase in the Gong since 2006;
- 27% are children;
- 44% are women;
- a high proportion suffer mental illness, the root cause of homelessness; and
- 31% suffer abuse and domestic violence.
- Date: Friday, 1 April 2016
- Single tickets for $120.00
- Table of 10 for $1,200.00
- Become a sponsor on the night for between $500.00 - $1,000.00
- Guest Speaker: Wendell Sailor
- Launch by: Gareth Ward MP
For more information and to purchase tickets please visit: